Water Treatment FAQs

Who do I call to inquire about my water bill?
Please call the Billing and Collection Office, open 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, (937) 335-4151. This office is located on the first floor of the City Building, 100 S. Market Street.

How do water rates in Troy compare to rates in other nearby systems?
A current regional water & sewer rate survey, conducted annually by the City of Piqua, is available here: Regional Water & Sewer Rate Survey.

Where can I find a copy of the annual Water Quality Report (CCR)?
A copy of the latest Water Quality Report is located at the following link:  www.troyohio.gov/ccr.

How often is Troy's water tested?
Water Treatment Plant Operators perform process control checks hourly (pH, free chlorine) as well as tests for Total Hardness and Total Alkalinity at 2-hr. intervals. Per Ohio EPA regulations, a minimum of 30 bacteriological samples are collected each month from various areas within the Troy distribution system, and the free chlorine residual at the plant effluent and in the distribution system is tested daily. Ohio EPA issues annual monitoring schedules, including quarterly and annual sampling requirements for various chemical, radiological and disinfection by-product constituents.

Does the Troy Water Treatment Plant conduct tours?
Tours are available for organized groups, such as Scout troops, 4-H clubs, service organizations, and local schools. To arrange a tour, please contact the WTP Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent directly at (937) 339-4826.

How can I get my well water tested?
Troy’s bacteriological lab accepts well water samples, but these must be collected as stipulated by Ohio EPA. This protocol mandates our lab supply the sterilized sample bottle and the OEPA sample submission form to whomever is collecting the sample. You simply record the date, time, address, and add your name and contact information to the form. The name of the sampler is required, if it is not you. Samples can be submitted between 7am-2pm, 7 days a week, and must be accompanied by a payment of $30/sample, payable to the Troy Water Fund. The sample must be submitted to our lab within 24 hours of collection, and should be refrigerated until submitted.

For more information, call the Water Treatment Plant at (937) 339-4826.

How long does bacteria testing take?
Water samples must be incubated a minimum of 24 hours. Testing results are normally available within 30 hrs. of submission. The sample submission form must provide contact information in order for our lab to report samples to you.

Can I use my own container for a bacteria test?
No, for quality control reasons Ohio EPA requires that a certified laboratory provide pre-screened and approved containers. If bottles from another certified lab are used, they must be accompanied by OEPA sample bottle quality control documentation from that laboratory.

Can the Troy lab test for nitrates?
The City of Troy lab is a bacteriological lab, and does not test for organic or inorganic compounds. If you have a private well, you can have the above constituents and additional water tests done by a commercial OEPA- certified lab such as Pace Analytical or MASI Environmental Laboratories.

What are the results of Troy lead testing?
Historically, Troy has shown very few detections for lead since testing began in 1993. The EPA Action Level of concern is set at 15 parts per billion. Public Water Systems exceeding this 15 ppb standard in more than 10% of their samples are required to take special measures to control water quality. Troy's sampling results have always been well below the level of concern.

How does Troy prevent lead in its drinking water?
Lead is not present in our source water. Lead contamination in drinking water results from lead plumbing materials exposed to corrosive water. To prevent this, the Water Plant staff continuously monitors the treatment process to control alkalinity and pH, ensuring our product is in a non-corrosive and absolutely safe state.

For decades we have tightly controlled the chemistry of our water, utilizing common but very effective treatment techniques to achieve a precise Ohio EPA- mandated calcium carbonate stability index. This precise chemistry allows us to deposit a very thin protective layer of calcium carbonate coating within our system's piping and fixtures, to add an extra layer of protection from lead plumbing components that may exist in older sections of our system.

How often does Troy conduct lead testing?
By Ohio and US EPA mandate, we conduct both lead and copper testing at 30 locations every three years. Samples are taken by citizens in Troy residences and submitted to an EPA-approved independent laboratory for analysis.

How can I determine if I have a lead service line?
If you are wondering if you have a lead service line you can go to the latest LCR Map. This map was last updated in 2022 but assumes homes built prior to February 1, 1944 are lead until proven otherwise. If you would like to perform a test on the service line as it enters your home you can do so by following the instructions here.

Does Troy add fluoride to the drinking water?
In two past referendums, the citizens of Troy have voted to not fluoridate Troy's drinking water. As a result, no fluoride is added to the drinking water by the City of Troy. Water drawn from the city's wells does contain naturally occurring fluoride, and this persists through the treatment process. The level of fluoride in the tap water averages 0.3 to 0.4 parts per million (ppm). If fluoride is added to drinking water, the current recommendation from the Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) for fluoride is a range of 0.7 to 1.2 ppm.

What is the status of the East Troy Contaminated Aquifer (ETCA) & West Troy Contaminated Aquifer (WTCA) USEPA Superfund Sites?
The latest information can be found here for the ETCA and the WTCA. These are US EPA projects, and contact information can be found at these links. For general questions please contact the WTP Superintendent at (937) 339-4826.

Who can I contact to haul bulk water to my house for a pool?
The City of Troy does not endorse any specific contractor including for bulk water hauling. However, there are a couple companies in the Miami County area that perform this service.
H2O to Go (Troy): (937) 387-8646
Fisher Water Hauling (Covington): (937) 473-2589